O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Friday, June 29, 2012

Lessons Everywhere- The Impromtu Lesson in Math

I went to the store to buy some compost. Pumpkin Pie said, "Look, that is $399 and that one is $899." I looked at what she was pointing to. Yes, without knowing about the superscripts it certainly looks like 399 or 899! I remember as a child thinking the same thing. Butterfly concurred that the notation was a bit odd and while she knew that it wasn't $899, she didn't understand why it wasn't listed with a decimal point. I then took the next couple of minutes to discuss the purpose of the superscript and how Pumpkin Pie was correct it was 899 cents but 8 dollars and 99 cents. I left laughing at what a great lesson with real applications we had just had. So much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment