O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Elderberry Syrup

There are lots of tutorials on how to make Elderberry Syrup online. Some have add-ins and some don’t. Whenever I am making an herbal preparation, I always consider those who are in need of the herbs and I tailor things to them. Thus, as I was preparing this syrup and was considering my family and the respiratory congestion they are fighting, I made some tweaks. Here is what I did:

4oz elderberries (about a cup)                                                           

1 T cinnamon chips (not sweet candy, but broken bits of cinnamon bark)

1T cloves

1/2 T golden seal root

1 T Echinacea root

2 inches fresh ginger thinly sliced

1/2 organic lemon thinly sliced

1 T chamomile flower

1 T thyme

3 cups water

1 cup raw honey

October 2013 094 October 2013 098Simmer the elder berries, cloves, goldenseal, Echinacea, ginger, and cinnamon on low for 30 minutes.

Take off heat and stir in chamomile, thyme, and lemon slices. October 2013 099

Let sit until room temperature. Strain. October 2013 100

Reheat just enough to melt  honey in- you don’t want to go above 110 degrees or it kills the honey. Stir in honey. October 2013 101

Bottle in a dark colored bottle. October 2013 106 

Makes just under 1 qt of elderberry syrup.

October 2013 107

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nurse, registered dietician, or other medical provider. I am a Master Herbalist and teach about the historical and traditional usage of herbs. Nothing posted on this post or anywhere else on this blog is intended as medical advice. This post is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment