O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Vegan Garden Fresh Corn Chowder

July  2012 022I have been searching for vegan once a month cooking recipes because I figure if I can pack a few in my freezer I will have some meals for when the baby comes or when I am not feeling well, etc. Also, they tend to be easy to fix so the burden on Tiger or my husband is a little lighter. I search for vegan because they don’t have dairy and meat to contend with even though we are not really vegan- fish is rarely found in the once a month cooking recipes I have seen.
So, on to the recipe. I started out by browsing the menu plans on Once A Month Mom and found a link to a non-vegetarian summer squash and corn chowder. It contained bacon, milk, and cheese. OAMM had changed the recipe to be vegetarian with vegetarian bacon… I changed it even further. Here is my version:
1 pound frozen corn + 1 cup extra frozen corn
4 zucchinis quartered and sliced
3-4 Yukon gold potatoes cubed in 1/4” cubes
2 leeks finely chopped
3 ribs celery finely chopped
2-3 carrots shredded
1 can coconut milk (I use organic Thai Coconut)
1 T olive oil
1 C water
1 tsp salt
pepper and other spices to taste
Put oil in the soup pot and sauté leeks a few minutes. Add potatoes and stir. Allow to sauté for a minute or two. Add celery and zuchini. Add 1 cup water and cover. Shred the carrots and add them. Make sure veggies are cooked and then blend coconut milk, salt, and 1lb of corn and pour into pot. Add in extra 1 cup frozen corn. Bring to a boil and then serve. We sprinkled some pepper and Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset on top. It was creamy and delicious. I probably should have had Tiger chop some fresh parsley and stir that in right before serving but I didn’t think about that until I was posting the recipe. That would have been tasty.
July  2012 023

No comments:

Post a Comment