O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Frontier Girls Initiation

Jan 2013 086Butterfly has felt left out as Tiger has advanced through the ranks of Cub Scouts. While she loves Activity Days at church, she doesn’t like that it only meets twice a month and there are no awards, requirements at home, or goals to work towards. The Faith in God Award is not too difficult to achieve as long as she shows up to activities and puts in minimal effort at home. I didn’t want to do Girl Scouts as I think it has fallen too far away from life skills and I don’t like all that they stand for. A friend found a newer organization called Frontier Girls. Most things can be done at home and it emphasizes the values that are important in our home- faith, liberty, service and goal setting to learn new skills and become a better person. The motto is, “If you see a need, take the lead!” Given this motto, girls must participate in several service projects each year.

Several of the families in our co-op have decided to join Frontier Girls. We decided to only have Pumpkin Pie and Butterfly join since I don’t see much point in having Strawberry working towards goals she doesn’t really understand. We will get together periodically for service projects and to work on occasional badges, but the badges will mostly be done at home. I am thrilled. The Life Skills Achievement encouraged Pumpkin Pie to learn to tie her shoe- something she has REFUSED to do since others would do it for her! 

During the initiation, the girls each recited one of the lines of the Frontier Girls creed and lit a candle.

Frontier Girl Creed

As a Frontier Girl

I will be Loving, treating others as I would like to be treated.

I will be Joyful, finding the blessings in every situation.

I will be Peaceful, respecting others opinions and beliefs.

I will be Patient, persevering toward my goals despite obstacles.

I will be Kind, respectful to all and willing to help others at all times.

I will be Good, pure in all I do, think, and say.

I will be Faithful to my God and loyal to family, friends, and country.

I will be Gentle, taking special care of those weaker or less fortunate than I.

I will have Self Control, using my time, materials and talents wisely, and being accountable for my own actions.

Jan 2013 087 Jan 2013 091 Jan 2013 093 Jan 2013 092

One of the little brothers of one of the girls came to inspect the uniforms after they were presented. :)Jan 2013 094

No comments:

Post a Comment