O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Peaceful Moment of Learning

Homeschooling usually includes a fair amount of noise, hustle, bustle, and energy. Most of the time, especially with a preschooler in the midst, someone is talking, playing nearby, or asking questions. This isn’t a bad thing, it just is. Every once in a while, everyone is so focused the spirit of learning is felt. Today there was one such rare moment. In that brief moment, there was a deep sense of peace, learning, love, and comfortableness. We were all together and yet we were all engaged. I was so grateful that my camera sat upon my desk and I could capture each child in that moment before it changed.

I was looking at an upcoming product that our family will be reviewing and each of the children were working on something. Then, all of a sudden, the room was SILENT. I looked up to see what was happening and I noticed that every one of my children was deeply engaged in their activity.

Pumpkin Pie was working on copy work for Zoology. She was analyzing the letters. A few moments later she asked me why the book author formed a letter the way she did rather than the way I have taught. Feb 2013 068

Strawberry had selected a puzzle and was beginning to work on it. A few moments later she was singing to herself and rolling around, but in that brief instance she was deep in thought.Feb 2013 069 

Butterfly was intently working on her math. Just a few moments later, she was done and ready for lunch.Feb 2013 070

And under the table, Tiger had found a book on the library book shelf to begin reading. Feb 2013 071

It was very brief, but it was one of those whisperings that spoke to me- “This is why you homeschool.”

The next few minutes got louder and louder, especially because Strawberry began to sing louder and louder… activities were completed… and it was time for lunch.

1 comment: