O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Glimpses of the future in the present

Once upon a time there was a little girl about 8 years old. This little girl had a little sister. Her little sister was 2 and looked forward to the little girl's visits each summer since the little girl lived far away. As soon as the little girl walked in the door, her little sister would wrap herself around her big sister's legs and proclaim, "My Misi! Only my Misi. No one else's Misi!" The girl loved her little sister and played with her and sang her songs and lullabies at nap time. She read her stories and made up dances to perform. She loved to play with her friend whom she didn't get to play with except when she came to visit her little sister. Because her little sister was so possessive of her big sister, the little girl felt bad leaving the house to play with her friend. She didn't want her little sister to cry. One time she remembers waiting until her little sister was asleep before going to visit her friend. She felt bad that her sister might wake up and find her missing but she didn't know how else to handle the situation. Too bad she hadn't learned what her eventual sweet daughter would one day say to another little sister!

Sometimes in life we get small glimpses of the amazing people our children will become amidst the chaos, rankling, learning, playing, and messes. Sometimes a special moment confirms that we are on the right path of teaching righteousness, courtesy, respect, self sufficiency, compassion, healthy relationships, and love.
The other day I was leaving the house to go run some errands. I needed to focus and I offered to take one of the big girls with me but I didn't want to take Strawberry. Pumpkin pie was determined to go. Strawberry begged her, "No want you to go! What you to stay with me." Pumpkin Pie almost always does what Strawberry wants. She reads her stories, sings her songs, lets her climb in bed at bed time and cuddle, plays with her, crawls around the floor pretending to be a dog, etc. Finally, with a sweet, calm, loving voice, Pumpkin Pie disagreed appropriately with Strawberry. She said, "Strawberry, sometimes Pumpkin Pie needs to get her way too." I was so proud of my Pumpkin Pie for her love and patience as well as for establishing her own boundaries! She was so mature in that instant. I look backward with fondness at her last nearly 6 years and I look forward with anticipation to see the beautiful and amazing woman she will become. I felt blessed to be near in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment