O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Psalms 43:3

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. D&C 88:118

The kids

The kids

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I Love when Dinner Cooks Itself!

Ok, so maybe dinner didn’t totally cook itself, but pretty close. For dinner tonight, we had garden fresh corn chowder and a raspberry rhubarb “crisp” made in my thermal cooker. I started with the garden corn chowder from Hezzi-D’s to make a vegan corn chowder with a few more veggies… 

June 2048

My recipe:

4 c. + 1 c frozen organic corn kernels,
4 c. water
1/3 c almonds
1 t. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, diced
2 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
3 small carrots, diced
1 T broth powder (I make mine with some spices and nutritional yeast using the recipe for Traci Seller’s broth powder from a 2010 article from Herbal Legacy. One copy of the recipe is here.)
6 fingerling potatoes sliced in 1/4 slices
Fines Herbes

Blend 4 c corn, water, broth powder, and almonds in a blender until smooth. (I used a vitamix) Sautee onions in a little olive oil in the bottom of the 7L thermal cooker pot. Add in the rest of the veggies for a few minutes. Add the corn and milk mixture and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes.

June 2044While waiting for the chowder to boil, I made some crisp for the top pot.

June 20403 stalks rhubarb diced
1/2 c chopped apples (I used freeze dried)
1/2 c raspberries (I used freeze dried)
4 T rapidura
3/4 c coconut milk
1 3/4 c water
1 c steel cut oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/3 c maple syrup

Stir together everything except the vanilla and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat, stir in vanilla and cover. June 2043

Place the small pot in the large pot and seal in cooker. Stir in maple syrup before serving.

  June 2046 June 2047     

If it hadn’t have been a super busy night, I would have served a green salad too.

1 comment: